Alpine Achievers Initiative AmeriCorps Program
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: The Alpine Achievers Initiative (AAI) AmeriCorps Program is designed to promote the academic, physical and social well being of the youth in northern Saguache County. The two primary objectives of this program are to provide 1) math and literacy interventions to students performing below proficiency in school and 2) intentional out-of-school programming to youth after school, on Fridays and throughout the summer. AmeriCorps members will be placed at Crestone Charter School, Moffatt School or Mountain Valley School, each which have less than 150 students, k-12, and are located in rural communities throughout northern Saguache County. AmeriCorps members working with out of school programing for grades 6-12 will have opportunities to explore the Rocky Mountains through various organized outdoor leadership activities such as cross-country skiing, mountain biking, rock climbing and whitewater rafting.
TWO MAIN PROGRAMS
· Math and Literacy Interventions: AmeriCorps will be trained in either literacy or mathematics interventions and provide small group or one-on-one tutoring to students performing below proficiency (K-12)
· Out-of-School Programming: AmeriCorps members will provide intentional out-of-school programming to elementary, middle school and high school youth after school, on Fridays and during the summer months.
TERM OF SERVICE
· Start Date: Monday, August 17, 2015
· End Date: July 17, 2016
· Average hours per week: 40 hours
· Complete: 1,700 hours of community service
SCHOOL PLACEMENT SITES: Determined by Program Manager after interview process: dependent on member’s personality, work style, intervention preference and age group preference.
· Minimum Age: 18
· Experience working with youth and/or elementary and/or middle school-aged children
· Clean criminal record and driving background – all members must pass a background check
· Reliable vehicle & driver’s license strongly recommended
· Weekly Living Allowance ($250/week stipend)
· Professional Development
· $5,730 AmeriCorps Education Award that can be used for college loans or to further your education
· Health Insurance
· Housing provided with some placements
· Organized Adventure Excursions
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter, resume and AmeriCorps Program Application to Megan Strauss at firstname.lastname@example.org